First Footguard was presented with help of Muscular Dystrophy Association in 2010. Some players and their families started Finnish Powerchair Football association 2013.
First championship match was played 2015-2016 (2 teams), 2016-2017 (3 teams), and 2017-2018 (4 teams). From 2017 Powerchair Football has been included in the Finnish Football Association. All teams are integrated into football clubs. Finnish football association is a full member of FIPFA.
- Visibility of disability sports (for example, during the FIFA qualifying match v. Ukraine, 22 Finnish powerchair football players will escort the Finnish FIFA team into the stadium).
- Increase amount of players
- Increase amount of clubs in the national league
- Team Finland to Nations cup.
- We are interested in organizing one international tournament in Finland.
- Coach / referee education
- Co-operations with Nordic countries especially
PARTICIPATIONS IN INTERNATIONAL EVENTS AND RESULTS
- Finland participated in the FIPFA U-18 tournament 2013 in Paris.
Team Finland was very young and these matches were the first for the Finnish players.
Finland finished in sixth plac and won de FAIR PLAY Trophy.
- 2014 Finland took part in a development tournament in Vienna, Austria.
Finland lost the final against Austria.
THE POWERCHAIR FOOTBALL IN THE COUNTRY
COMPETITIONS, CLUBS AND NUMBER OF PLAYERS
FINNISH CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE
We have played 2 seasons of Finnish championship league.
NUMBER OF CLUBS AND TEAMS IN THE COUNTRY
4 clubs will take part in the 2017-2018 league. We have around 30 players in Finland.
Several tester events with coach training and referee training from FIPFA. Future planning for classifier training.